Wesel, March 27, 2003
New AWETA Technical Service Laboratory for BYK-Chemie USA, Inc.
Only 7 months after starting construction, the new AWETA Technical Service Laboratory for BYK-Chemie USA was opened on March 7, 2003. The new laboratory is designed for technical service and quality control and is equipped to support basic technical service projects for most applications in paint and plastics business.
In February of 2002, the decision was made to expand the BYK-Chemie USA Technical Service Laboratory from 950 m2 to 1250 m2. In August 2002, the initial phase of demolition of the original laboratory building began with a timetable of seven months to construction completion. The construction cost was 3.5 Million US$.
An ultra modern laboratory building was created to provide pleasant working conditions in an open, friendly environment. High value is being placed on inviting global customers to work here in close co-operation with BYK application chemists and sales staff on their related technical service project tasks.
In the future, customer seminars can also be held in the new seminar rooms.
The facility is designed to accommodate both technical service and quality control laboratories with a maximum capacity of 23 people. In the event that future business growth requires additional laboratory space, the building is designed to accommodate the addition of a second floor.
Initially, the new laboratory will be equipped with all the necessary test and application equipment to support technical service projects for most end use areas in the paint and plastics businesses. In addition to the standard laboratory areas, there is a room dedicated for equipment to contain dust generated from wood and fiberglass processing. A spray room will be outfitted for automotive and general industrial coating applications. There is also a separate laboratory reserved to house future acquisitions of UV equipment such as a roll-coater and UV ovens capable of curing display, pour out, and draw-down samples.
The new building was inaugurated on March 7, 2003 by Dr. Mathias L. Wolfgruber - Altana, Dr. Roland Peter - BYK-Chemie Wesel, and Dirk Plas - BYK-Chemie USA; concluding with a company wide celebration that was also the final agenda item of the concurrent NAFTA sales meeting. A delegation of BYK-Chemie Wesel, the mayor of Wallingford, the former president and founder of BYK-Chemie,USA , Wolfgang Zinnert, attended the opening ceremonies. Approximately 120 people participated in the celebration party.
With the completion of this new laboratory, BYK-Chemie now offers in her largest single market, the opportunity for working directly together with customers in close co-operation with BYK-Chemie Wesel on all customer and market related application areas.
BYK-Chemie is one of the World's Leading Suppliers of Additives used in the Coatings, Inks, and Plastics Industry.
Approximately 86 % of our sales are generated by exports. Our major export markets are Europe, the United States and the Far East.
Chemical additives are used by processing industries in the production of coatings, inks, and plastics. In very small quantities, BYK additives simplify manufacturing processes, and significantly improve the quality of finished goods, such as motor vehicles and furniture.
BYK-Chemie has been producing additives since 1920. Currently, the company employs approximately 690 people worldwide, 25 % of whom work in research and development departments or technical laboratories. Like the pharmaceutical division, BYK-Chemie is a member of ALTANA AG, Bad Homburg, Germany.
Telephone: (0281) 670-217
Telefax: (0281) 670-660